The City of Artists
The medieval town of Chiusa is known as “Dürerstädtchen,” or the city of Dürer. In 1494, the famous artist Albrecht Dürer climbed the slopes of the Tschanberg mountain above the town and there, intoxicated by the magnificent landscape, he made a drawing of the town of Chiusa. Unfortunately, this work of art was lost - but at the place where the artist stayed, the Dürerstein stone stands in remembrance.
In the centre of the city, in the former Capuchin Monastery, the Municipal Museum today houses the valuable Loreto Treasure: a collection of sacral objects, textiles and ceramics, as well as paintings and other works by famous Italian, Spanish and Flemish artists from the 16th and 17th centuries. Close by is the Loreto Chapel, a replica of the Holy House of Nazareth in Loreto.
Chiusa is dominated by the Säbener Berg hill, on which the impressive Säben Monastery towers. This can only be reached on foot via the steep Stations of the Cross or via the Sabiona Promenade. In the monastery, Benedictines live in a strict cloister.