Ga meteen naar de inhoud
toegevoegd aan favorieten
verwijderd uit favorieten
Helaas is er een probleem opgetreden. Probeer het opnieuw.
Uw account wordt aangemaakt
Je account is succesvol aangemaakt en je bent nu ingelogd
U bent uitgelogd
Filteren
Geselecteerde filters
    Moeilijkheidsgraad
    Duur
    Afstand in km
    Bezienswaardigheden
    Shops
    Golf

    Kerken en kloosters

    De kerken en kloosters in Zuid-Tirol bieden een kijkje in het rijke culturele en religieuze erfgoed van de regio. Van oude Romaanse bouwwerken tot charmante heiligdommen in de bergen, elke plek heeft prachtige architectuur, ingewikkelde fresco's en een serene omgeving. Of het nu de indrukwekkende kathedraal van Brixen is of de pittoreske abdij van Novacella, deze heilige plaatsen nodigen bezoekers uit om zich te vergapen aan hun historische betekenis en momenten van rust te vinden te midden van de adembenemende landschappen van Zuid-Tirol.
    Resultaten
    Churches & Monasteries
    Dominican Church
    Bolzano/Bozen, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    The Dominican order established itself in Bolzano/Bozen in 1272 and built a church with a single nave inside a vast convent which branches off into different chapels, some of which have been lying in ruins, and a beautiful cloister. A part of the ancient structure houses the Music Academy shich, indidentally, Hosts the prestigious international piano competition Ferruccio Busoni. Also present is the Stadtgalerie, an art gallery which holds different exhibitions and other important cultural Events. The church has gothic archways, as well as baroque elements from the 17th and 18th century (such as the altar piece of Guercino to the left of the Major altar, which was bought by the merchants of Bolzano). The church preserves prestigious examples of paintings from Bolzano from the 14th century which can be found on the oriental side of the coister and on the western wall of the Church, but the real artistic jewel of the building is the Chapel of St. John, the Long and narrow side chapel which holds the cycle of frescoes of those painters who took Giotto es their role model, the so called "School of Giotto". Of particular interest are those scenes from the life of St. Nicholas on the last part of the oriental qall, and the fresco of the "Triumph over death " in the firs part of the same wall, the flight from Egypt on the western wall and the torture of St. Bartholomew on the northern wall. The entire chapel, decorated with individual frescoes of various themes, is a splendid example of 14th century art as practised in the Region. In the nearby coister you can also admire some frescoes by Friedrich Pacher which go back as far as 496.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Trechiese Barbiano/Dreikirchen Barbian
    Barbian/Barbiano, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    Three small churches, the church of Saint Gertraud, Saint Nikolaus and Saint Magdalena, built in the 12th and 15th century in an incredibly beautiful location with a fantastic view over the Isarco Valley. Visitors will be surprised by the level of artistic skill of the late-Gothic frescoes. This location can only be reached on foot over beautiful paths. Ask for the key from the nearby Messner restaurant. Guided tours are available on request, please call +39 0471 650 059. Holy Mass: July and August Sunday at 10:30 clock (german). Open from March to Mid Novembre, winter closed.

    Churches & Monasteries
    The crooked church tower of Barbian
    Barbian/Barbiano, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    The church of Barbian was built in the 13th century consecrated to the apostle and patron Saint Jacob. Today the only remaining of the old church is he bell tower. The church was constructed in a Romanesque style and in the year 1472 it obtained Gothic elements. In 1874 – 1877 the Neo-Romanesque nave was added to the Gothic main body (today’s sacristy). The inclination of the campanile is attributed to the different grounding on which the tower was built. The half on the downhill side lies on the unstable soil of the Central Uplands and the other half on solid quartz-phillite-rocks. Ing. Fulvio Pisetta carried out a mechanical intervention in 1985 – 1988 to assure the stability of the church tower. Height: 37,00 metres Inclination: 1,56 metres

    Churches & Monasteries
    St Nicholas church in Mittelberg
    Ritten/Renon, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    The St. Nicholas church in Mittelberg is first mentioned in 1289. This church was enlarged in the Gothic style in 1400 and has kept its appearance from that time. The tower is somewhat later than the church and was probably built in the 14th Century. It is made of natural stones laid in regular patterns. Possibly in 1400 the upper levels were altered to the Gothic tyle and the existing windows date from that period. In 1744 a rather large onion dome was added. It does not fit the building but is still quite pleasing. Another reason for building the church was the competition between the summer visitors to Klobenstein and those of Maria Himmelfahft. In Klobenstein they did not wish to be behind the people who were building their own church in Himmelfahrt at the time.

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Michael's church
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The first written documentation referring to this church appears at the end of the 14th century. From this era, the bell tower remains today, with its double-mullioned windows surmounted by triple-mullioned windows and frescoes on the façade representing the saints Anne, Catherine and Margaret, Christopher with the baby Jesus, and St. Michael, to whom the church is dedicated. In 1672, the church was restored, supplied with a barrel vault, and supplemented with a new chancel, side altar, and sacristy. Particularly rich are the decorations of the choir stalls: The scenes depicted on the parapet stem from the 17th century and represent the Visitation of Mary and Elizabeth, the Adoration of the Magi, the circumcision of Jesus, the flight from Egypt, and the Massacre of the Innocents. The busts painted on the lower part of the choir stalls represent the twelve Apostles and date back to the 18th century. The interior of the church is bare due to the theft of the furnishings and sacred images in 1969. The stolen original altarpiece was replaced by a representation of St. Michael fighting evil.

     

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of St. John in Hafling
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Parish Church of Hafling, which is first mentioned in documents dating from 1291, is dedicated to John the Baptist. The walls of the nave date from the same period while the Gothic chancel and tower, which can still be seen today, were added in the second half of the fifteenth century.

    The rededication took place on June 11th, 1469. In the seventeenth century, a barrel vault replaced the flat wooden ceiling. Of particular note is the remarkably large mural depicting St. John the Evangelist, which dates to around 1600. In the chancel arch, there is a precious fresco by Karl von Blaas. A few sculptures from the eighteenth century grace the church as well.

    The porphyry relief on the outside of the cemetery chapel, now the vestry, is a mystery. It depicts a man, a tree, a flower, and a wheel-shaped ornament. The enigmatic relief is often associated with an agrarian devotion to the sun, but a precise interpretation has yet to be firmly established.

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Oswald Church
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The St. Oswald Church is situated on 2,365 metres in the hiking and skiing area of Meran 2000.

    In 1641, the farmers of Hafling/Avelengo swore to edify Oswald as the patron saint of cattle and grazing, by building a chapel at the foot of the mount Ifinger and processing there on his name-day festival. The old chapel existed for almost 250 years at the original site, until a new building was erected in 1879.

    Even today, there is a procession to the chapel every 5th of August, which is St. Oswald’s Day, with an open-air mass and a related church holiday. Many of the devoted from the surrounding area flock up to services at the little mountain church and pray for nice weather and good health for the cattle, for which Oswald serves as patron saint.

    Places to See
    Chapel St. Katharina (Hocheppan)
    Eppan an der Weinstaße/Appiano sulla Strada del Vino, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The castle chapel of Hocheppan with its roman frescos is one of the most important roman art monuments in South Tyrol. The centuries old frescos had been painted over and were only entirely laid open in 1926. Besides religious themes, the hunting scene on the exterior wall can be seen as one of the rarest profane depictions in Tyrol dating from this time period. The wall paintings originate from the first decade of the 13th century and show famous illustrations like the foolish virgins, the dumpling eater - the first proof for Tyrolean dumplings - and the picture of 'Maria Heimsuchung' which is well known far beyond the border of South Tyrol.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Church Hill Landmark in Schenna
    Schenna/Scena, Meran/Merano and environs

    In the centre of Schenna lies the Church Hill, notable for its three churches. Dating from the Carolingian era, the 12th Century St. Martin's Church amidst the cemetery is the oldest of them all. With two naves, each with a rounded apse and two centrally positioned octagonal pillars, it is used as a mortuary chapel. A little to the east of St. Martin's Church lies the 13th Century Church of the Assumption of Mary, the so-called “old parish church”. Completely rebuilt in the 16th Century in its existing Romanesque style, the church hosts religious services for small congregations, as well as functions such as baptisms and weddings. The more recent Schenna neo-Gothic parish church was built between 1914 – 1931, while the adjacent mausoleum was built for Archduke Johann and his consort in the years 1860 – 1869.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Pieve di Marebbe/Enneberg and its church
    Al Plan/San Vigilio, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones

    For a long time, the entire religious life of the valley revolved around the church of La Pli/Pieve Marebbe. Once the most important house of prayer in the valley, records state that since the appointment of one Marquardus as the first pastor in 1214, Marebbe has always had its own resident pastor. Records dating back to 1347 list the church as the "parish church of the Virgin Mary of Marebbe".

    Today, it is a grand four-naved Baroque church with a particularly beautiful wooden high altar, skilfully carved in Renaissance style in 1636 – at a time when the Black Death raged through the valleys. The centre features a statue of St. Mary of Graces. Both for the population of the Badia valley and many pilgrims from the Pusteria valley, this picturesque temple remains a well-loved and much-visited place of pilgrimage.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Welschnofen Parish Church
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The current parish church was dedicated in May 1967 after a 2-year construction phase. It is a modern church with a low aisle under a sharp, gabled roof. The parish tower (37 m high) is a testimony to the oldest building activity in the village. The foundation dates back to the 13th century. In 1741, it was renovated from the belfry upward. The tower was given its octagonal center and its onion dome in 1741.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Pilgrimage Maria Weißenstein
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental

    At an altitude of 1520m, Pietralba is the most significant place of pilgrimage in South Tyrol and among the region’s popular destinations, especially since the visit of Pope John Paul II in July 1988. Highlights include the large monastery and its collection of votive.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Chapel of St. Helena
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Chapel of St. Helena is particularly impressive on account of its rich frescoes, a major work of the Bolzano school of painting from around 1400. Art historians state that these are closely related to the murals in the Parish Church of Terlano and the Church of St. Catherine in Aica by Fiè. The Niederthor crest on the triumphal arch strongly suggests that the painting of St. Helena – like that in Terlan – was commissioned by the noble Niederthor family. Concealed behind paint for a long time, the coat of arms was once more revealed in 1885 and fully restored in 1938.
    The outer walls feature images of St. Helena, St. Christopher and a crucifixion group on the façade, while on the south wall towards the apse there are representations of Mary with the infant Jesus and the three Holy Virgins, Catherine, Barbara and Margaret.
    Inside the church, vaulted frescoes in the nave show the four evangelists with their respective symbols, each with an excerpt from his gospel. In the apse Christ appears enthroned as judge, surrounded by the symbols of the evangelists. The series of the twelve apostles below was partially destroyed during a subsequent extension of the windows. The triumphal arch points in the direction of the nave to the story of Cain and Abel, while the intrados depicts scenes from the Creation. The side walls of the nave feature images from the life of the Mother of God and Jesus’s childhood: the Annunciation, the Visit of Mary to Elisabeth, Mary and Joseph, the Adoration of the Magi, the Presentation at the Temple and the Flight into Egypt. On the west wall opposite the altar are St. Helena, St. Sebastian, a proclamation and the Bishops Ulrich and Wolfgang.
    The church is Romanesque in its basic features and probably goes back to the 12th century. The small, rough stone relief to the far right of the façade dates from the 14th century. In 1410 the church was re-consecrated following completion of the painting. In 1500 the tower was given its wide pointed-arch window; the deeper-lying, coupled round-arched windows were bricked up. The altar structure dates back to the first half of the 17th century; the altarpiece is signed “J. G. Plazer 1723”.
    The Church of St. Helena stands, according to legend, on silver ore. An ancient tradition tells of mining activities in the immediate vicinity of the church: G. Innerebner lists the church hill below the prehistoric settlements as a probable place of worship and orientation.
    A detailed description and interpretation of the frescoes appears in the colour guide “St. Helena near Nova Ponente” SB 21 (M. Frei).
    Churches & Monasteries
    Chapel S. Sebastian
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The chapel is consecrated to the saints Rochus and Sebastian and owes its existence to an oath which the people of Nova Levante made during the plague in 1635/36. However, the chapel was only built between 1662 and 1666 and inaugurated in 1697. The long space of time between the oath and the chapel's completion was due to the fact that the people of Nova Levante were in disagreement over the location. The chapel is a building with a round apse, barrel vault and low-arch windows. Inside, there are several altars, the pulpit, sculptures and paintings - Baroque works from the 17th Century.
    The chapel is not open to the public. The key for the chapel is available at the Romantikhotel Post Weisses Rössl in Nova Levante.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Wayside shrine in Laion
    Lajen/Laion
    In Laion village, next to the Maria Einsiedel chapel, there is a wayside shrine that dates back to the 17th century. In the niches of the wayside shrine are representations such as a crucifixion group, two holy warriors, St. John and St. Margaret and the visit of Mary to Elizabeth.
    Churches & Monasteries
    Benedictine Monastry of Muri-Gries
    Bolzano/Bozen, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    Piazza Gries, with the architectural complex of the Abbey of Benedettini di Muri-Gries on the right handside, is right in the middle of the quarter. The monastery, initially hosting Agostinian monks (1406), was damaged by peasant revolts in 1525 and destroyed during the Napoleonic wars. It was suppressed by the Bavarian government in 1807 and donated by the Austrian Emperor to Benedectine Muri Monks (Switzerland) in 1845. The oldest centre is the castle, built by the Morit-Greifenstein Counts in 1200, and whose original 'mastio' (tower) today is the church's bell tower. It hosts one of the heaviest bells in Alto Adige (5,026 kg).

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Kathrein church
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The romanesque church called St. Kathrein has a gothic apse and dates from the thirteenth century. It has well-preserved frescoes from the fourteenth century and a winged altar in the late-Gothic Tyrolean style (which can only be see through an opening in the portal).

    The story

    Like many other churches in the region, the St. Kathrein church in Hafling was built on a site that was originally a pagan place of worship. Presumably there was already a small church standing here in the twelfth century, which was destroyed by fire in 1202. The only parts of the church that survived from the period before the church fire are the regularly stratified walls of the flat-roofed nave.

    Fifty years later, a Romanesque church had already come into being, which was newly consecrated in 1251. In the late Gothic period, the church was rebuilt again. Two hundred years later, in 1452, it was once again rebuilt and rededicated.

    The late-Gothic winged altar is a valuable decorative element of the church. The central part of the altar cabinet contains three wooden figures: the patron saint, St. Catherine, flanked by John the Baptist and Mary Magdalene.

    The Legend

    According to legend, the local people wanted to build a Christian church on this site. They charged two giants to procure stones. The giants, however, had promised to build at church in Lafenn at the exact same time. Having only one hammer between them, the two giants had to share. Eventually, a conflict arose between the pair over the hammer, so the Lafenn giant picked up an enormous boulder and threw it at the St. Catherine giant. The boulder missed its target, but can still be seen in the meadow near Sulfner, just below the church.

    Dates church tours 2022:
    30.05. | 13.06. | 27.06. | 04.07. | 11.07. | 18.07. | 25.07. | 08.08. | 16.08.* | 22.08. | 29.08. | 05.09. | 19.09. | 03.10. | 24.10. | 31.10.2022

    Churches & Monasteries
    Museum Steinegg
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Museum offers an unforgettable excursion into Tyrolean history. The rural life, its roots in religion, the various almost forgotten crafts, as well as the painful memories of the wars are only a part of the lovingly collected exhibits. On the journey through the old parlors, chambers and workrooms, you can feel the simple life up close and are fascinated by the way our ancestors dealt with nature.

    On normal weekdays, a reservation is required within 12 noon of the previous day; on weekends a reservation is obligatory until 5 p.m. on Thursday and until 48 hours before for public holidays.
    Reservation:
    +39 0471 619560 or online booking
    Museum of Steinegg
    Churches & Monasteries
    Cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of Mary
    Bolzano/Bozen, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    It is the Cathedral of the Bolzano Bozen- Bressanone Brixen Diocese. It conceals the remains of an early Christian, Medieval and Romanesque (1180) basilica. A hundred years later works are commenced to build a new imposing building which is completed around 1420 by combining the expertise of workers of Lombardy with the gothic style brought by the Swabian expertise over the decades. The bell tower stand over the square, 65 metres tall, with a spire in openwork in sandstone by the Swabian architect Hans Lutz von Schussenried, who completed it between 1501 and 1519. To see: the cross built in Veronese style, the "Wine door", the Romanesque Portal with porch lions, the rose window, the fresco "Virgin with child" credited to Friedrich Pacher, inside the gothic pulpit, the baroque Chapel of the Three Maries.

    Churches & Monasteries
    S. Joseph chapel
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The Joseph chapel at the 'Moartalalmwiese' (Moar Valley alpine meadow) was built in 1897 by the Association for Alpine Hotels. In the summer of the years prior to World War I, a mass was held there every day. For this reason, the management of the 'Grand Hotel Carezza' employed a hotel chaplain. In 1976, the parish of Nova Levante bought the chapel. Thereafter, the little church was renovated and extended. Today, it offers space for 200 people. The renovated chapel was consecrated on the 18th June 1983.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Church of St. Lawrence and the Fourteen Holy Helpers
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The southern entrance to Laag/Laghetti is characterized by the presence of the St. Lawrence's Church. Dedicated to the Fourteen Holy Helpers in 1532, the late Gothic building sports a portal, the windows of the bell tower, and the nave all in pointed arches. The ceiling is a honeycomb vault, while its ogives and external ribs are decorated with a design alternating the colors black, ochre, and white. The little church was extensively restored in 2007-2008 and the sacred furnishings, works by the sculptor Paul dë Doss-Moroder, were renovated. This is only the last of several interventions carried out in the course of the centuries.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Church of St. Anna
    Vöran/Verano, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Church of St. Anna in Aschl/Eschio, near Vöran/Verano, is a Romanesque Revival building that was dedicated on July 26th, 1905: St. Anne’s Day.

    A merchant, who hailed from Mölten/Meltina and had found prosperity in Bolzano/Bozen, founded the church. The curate of Vöran, Anton Locher, helped with the construction financially, buying a forest and a meadow for the small house of worship.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of St. Nicholas in Vöran
    Vöran/Verano, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Parish Church of Vöran/Verano, which is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, is one of the oldest churches on the Tschögglberg high plateau. The church was first documented as far back as 1330.

    The walls of the nave date from that time as well. Towards the end of the fifteenth century, the apse was redone in the Gothic style, the nave fitted with two pointed arched doors, and the tower built. During the baroque period, the nave was supplemented with flat-arched windows and a barrel vault; a side chapel was also added. Frescoes depicting the Coronation of the Virgin are interesting from a historical and art-historical perspective, but are not preserved in their entirety.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Gardena Pass Alpini Chapel
    Corvara, Dolomites Region Val Gardena

    The chapel was built by the local "Alpini" groups and it is dedicated to their patron saint, St.Maurice. It was inaugurated in Spring 2004. Open from mid of May till mid of October.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Augustinian Monastery of Novacella
    Vahrn/Varna, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    Monastery of Novacella was founded by the blessed bishop Hartmann in 1142 as an Augustinian monastery. Thanks to its monastery school it became one of the most important centre of education and art. In 1742 the monastery was the largest in Tyrol, the Romanesque abbey church of Abbazia di Novacella was redesigned in Baroque style. Unique at  the monastery of Novacella is the round building of Castello dell'Angelo, former hostel and defence facility. The Gothic cloister benefits from valuable frescoes, while the well in the courtyard depicts the wonders of the world. The 8th wonder is said to be Novacella. The Rococo library of the monastery  of Novacella is uniquely beautiful, the Pinacoteca houses medieval paintings by outstanding masters Michael and Friedrich Pacher and Marx Reichlich. The Turkish wall dates back to turbulent times. The mill, water buildings and wine cellar point to the economic importance of the monastery. The area around the monastery is the northernmost winegrowing region of Italy with the well-known white wines Sylvaner, Müller-Thurgau and Kerner.

    Other information about the monastery of Novacella

    Visit without guide
    from Monday to Saturday from 10:00am to 5:00pm

    The historical garden: The historical garden is situated at the entrance to the monastery complex. It reopened in summer 2004 following extensive restoration work. The monastery garden can be visited indipendently from Thuersday to Saturday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm

    The monastery of Novacella is closed on Sundays and Catholic Holidays. 

    Churches & Monasteries
    The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows in St. Jakob
    Pfitsch/Val di Vizze, Sterzing/Vipiteno and environs

    The first testimony of this gothic construction is dated 1577. In 1789 a barrel vault ceiling decorated with rough frescoes was built. The modern-day choir was added when the Church was enlarged, after damages caused by an avalanche in 1817.

    Churches & Monasteries
    The Holy Trinity Church in Colma/Kollmann
    Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    The Holy Trinity Church in Kollmann was previously called the customs chapel and was connected to the customs office by a wooden walkway. The church itself was built around 1588 and nearly destroyed by a fire in 1938. In the meantime, it has been renovated. It is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Holy Mass: Sunday at 8:30 clock or 10:00 clock (german)

    Churches & Monasteries
    Cathedral of Bressanone/Brixen
    Brixen/Bressanone, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    The cathedral of Brixen/Bressanone is one of the most important sacred buildings along the Alpine area. Its origins go back to the year 980 AD. Due to a major fire in the 12th century, it was redesigned in romanesque style with a three-aisled nave and two façade towers. In the 18th century the baroque reconstruction took place, to which the cathedral owes its present appearance. Inside, the baroque idea of triumph was brought to perfection with wonderful ceiling paintings (f.ex. in Paul Troger's Adoration of the Lamb). The cathedral has a valuable interior with 33 different types of marble. The high altar, which was completed by Tehodor Benedetti, is one of the most important baroque altars in Tyrol. In addition, this church was equipped with a magnificent organ.

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21