Ga meteen naar de inhoud
toegevoegd aan favorieten
verwijderd uit favorieten
Helaas is er een probleem opgetreden. Probeer het opnieuw.
Uw account wordt aangemaakt
Je account is succesvol aangemaakt en je bent nu ingelogd
U bent uitgelogd
Filteren
Geselecteerde filters
    Moeilijkheidsgraad
    Duur
    Afstand in km
    Bezienswaardigheden
    Shops
    Golf

    Kerken en kloosters

    De kerken en kloosters in Zuid-Tirol bieden een kijkje in het rijke culturele en religieuze erfgoed van de regio. Van oude Romaanse bouwwerken tot charmante heiligdommen in de bergen, elke plek heeft prachtige architectuur, ingewikkelde fresco's en een serene omgeving. Of het nu de indrukwekkende kathedraal van Brixen is of de pittoreske abdij van Novacella, deze heilige plaatsen nodigen bezoekers uit om zich te vergapen aan hun historische betekenis en momenten van rust te vinden te midden van de adembenemende landschappen van Zuid-Tirol.
    Resultaten
    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
    Kiens/Chienes, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones

    The parish church of St. Peter and Paul in Kiens/Chienes was built between 1835 and 1838 and is the highest achievement of the first half of the 19th century. Only the tower dates back to the 15th century. It was completely restored between 2023 and 2024. Noteworthy are the ceiling paintings and two altarpieces by the painter Josef Renzler, as well as the high altarpiece and two further round-arched side altarpieces by the painter Alois Stadler. The Stations of the Cross in neo-baroque frames are the work of Christian Renzler.
    The high altar shows the church patron saints standing above the view of Kiens/Chienes and pointing to Mary with the child in a bright glow of light. A kneeling angel holds up a cartouche with a quote from the letter of St. Peter: "Cast all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. I Peter 5 C 7 V:"

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Valentin Church
    Kastelruth/Castelrotto, Dolomites Region Seiser Alm

    The St. Valentin church surrounded by meadows and fields, with the Schlern massif in the background, the small church of St. Valentin offers a real idyllic scene. The construction is of great historical and artistic value with precious frescos from the 14th and the 15th century. A peculiarity (among others): the painter has tried to include the local landscape as background in its representation of the three Kings.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Marienberg Monastery
    Mals/Malles, Vinschgau/Val Venosta

    Marienberg Abbey above Burgeis/ Burgusio dates back to the 12th Century. The highest located Benedictine abbey in Europe is situated at an altitude of 1,340 m a.s.l., since 900 years monks live here according to the rules of Saint Benedict of Nursia. Today, the main hall displays impressions about the daily life of the monks marked by Benedict's credo ora et labora. The exhibition displays also beautiful paintings such as the Romanesque Crypt frescoe with its unique depiction of angels.

    Special exhibitions:

    - Marienberg in front of and behind the lens
    - Maria

    Guided Tours
    All information about guided tours and timetables can be found at https://www.marienberg.it/en/museum/guided-tours.html.

    Places to See
    Chapel Weißesbild
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental
    This small church is located about 10 minutes walk from the town center in the upper part of Collepietra. The simple construction of the chapel was erected in 1797 presumably in thanksgiving to the Madonna for the victory in a battle against the French. Next to it is the particular column (Bildstock) "Weißes Bild" built in 1523.

     

     

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of Monte San Pietro
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The long aisle in the monastery is impressive, with its many votive plaques. Maria Weissenstein / Pietralba (1,520 meters above sea-level) is South Tyrol's most-important place of pilgrimage. It is among the most highly venerated religious sites in the entire province. This place of pilgrimage has been served by good roads from two directions for a couple of decades, now. The one road comes from the Eggen Valley, via Deutschnofen / Nova Ponente and Petersberg / Monte S. Pietro to Weissenstein/Pietralba. The other road ascends from the Etsch/Adige Valley, touches Aldein/Aldino, and ends in Weissenstein/Pietralba. The stream of pilgrims has increased markedly since the visit here by Pope John Paul II in July of 1988. This place of pilgrimage – including the church, the Pilgrims' House (built in 1897), the souvenir store, the inn (built in 1708), and the parking lot – is well-equipped not only for devout pilgrims, but also for the many hikers who stop by here. Open daily from 8:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m.

    Places to See
    Peststöcklein
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Peststöcklein of Steinegg|Collepietra stands directly on the old road from Steinegg|Collepietra to Bozen|Bolzano, about 2 km from Steinegg (25 minutes' walk). It is a tabernacle wayside shrine with a shingle roof from the second quarter of the 15th century. The pictures in the 4 shallow round arch niches show the crucifixion group on the front, the Annunciation of Mary with a St. Bishop on the left and St. Christopher on the right. The frescoes were restored several years ago.
    Forts & Castles
    Collepietra Parish Church
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental

    First mentioned in 1322, this parish church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The beautiful cemetery, which is beautifully cared for and decorated with artistically forged crosses, is one of the most beautiful cemeteries in South Tyrol.he beautiful cemetery, which is beautifully cared for and decorated with artistically forged crosses, is one of the most beautiful cemeteries in South Tyrol.

     

    Churches & Monasteries
    Augustinian Monastery of Novacella
    Vahrn/Varna, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    Monastery of Novacella was founded by the blessed bishop Hartmann in 1142 as an Augustinian monastery. Thanks to its monastery school it became one of the most important centre of education and art. In 1742 the monastery was the largest in Tyrol, the Romanesque abbey church of Abbazia di Novacella was redesigned in Baroque style. Unique at  the monastery of Novacella is the round building of Castello dell'Angelo, former hostel and defence facility. The Gothic cloister benefits from valuable frescoes, while the well in the courtyard depicts the wonders of the world. The 8th wonder is said to be Novacella. The Rococo library of the monastery  of Novacella is uniquely beautiful, the Pinacoteca houses medieval paintings by outstanding masters Michael and Friedrich Pacher and Marx Reichlich. The Turkish wall dates back to turbulent times. The mill, water buildings and wine cellar point to the economic importance of the monastery. The area around the monastery is the northernmost winegrowing region of Italy with the well-known white wines Sylvaner, Müller-Thurgau and Kerner.

    Other information about the monastery of Novacella

    Visit without guide
    from Monday to Saturday from 10:00am to 5:00pm

    The historical garden: The historical garden is situated at the entrance to the monastery complex. It reopened in summer 2004 following extensive restoration work. The monastery garden can be visited indipendently from Thuersday to Saturday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm

    The monastery of Novacella is closed on Sundays and Catholic Holidays. 

    Churches & Monasteries
    The St. Nicholas Parish Church in Ega
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental

    St. Nicholas, the Patron Saint of miners, was held to be the protector of those in danger from water. In Eggen, it was believed that he protected the village against the raging waters of the Sam Brook and of the Gerold Brook. Until the curacy was built in 1681, Eggen was served by the parish of Deutschnofen / Nova Ponente. While St. Nicholas had the right to bury its dead parishioners as well as to read the Mass, since 1435, Eggen was ministered by a priest from Deutschnofen / Nova Ponente. With the establishment of the first curacy, this stopped, and in 1919, the curacy was elevated to the status of an independent parish. The church is open daily from 8:00 a.m. till 6:00 p.m.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of St. Nicholas in Vöran
    Vöran/Verano, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Parish Church of Vöran/Verano, which is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, is one of the oldest churches on the Tschögglberg high plateau. The church was first documented as far back as 1330.

    The walls of the nave date from that time as well. Towards the end of the fifteenth century, the apse was redone in the Gothic style, the nave fitted with two pointed arched doors, and the tower built. During the baroque period, the nave was supplemented with flat-arched windows and a barrel vault; a side chapel was also added. Frescoes depicting the Coronation of the Virgin are interesting from a historical and art-historical perspective, but are not preserved in their entirety.

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Oswald Church
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The St. Oswald Church is situated on 2,365 metres in the hiking and skiing area of Meran 2000.

    In 1641, the farmers of Hafling/Avelengo swore to edify Oswald as the patron saint of cattle and grazing, by building a chapel at the foot of the mount Ifinger and processing there on his name-day festival. The old chapel existed for almost 250 years at the original site, until a new building was erected in 1879.

    Even today, there is a procession to the chapel every 5th of August, which is St. Oswald’s Day, with an open-air mass and a related church holiday. Many of the devoted from the surrounding area flock up to services at the little mountain church and pray for nice weather and good health for the cattle, for which Oswald serves as patron saint.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Chapel S. Sebastian
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The chapel is consecrated to the saints Rochus and Sebastian and owes its existence to an oath which the people of Nova Levante made during the plague in 1635/36. However, the chapel was only built between 1662 and 1666 and inaugurated in 1697. The long space of time between the oath and the chapel's completion was due to the fact that the people of Nova Levante were in disagreement over the location. The chapel is a building with a round apse, barrel vault and low-arch windows. Inside, there are several altars, the pulpit, sculptures and paintings - Baroque works from the 17th Century.
    The chapel is not open to the public. The key for the chapel is available at the Romantikhotel Post Weisses Rössl in Nova Levante.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Chapel of Saint Agatha
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Chapel of St. Agatha stands on a wooded hill in complete seclusion and silence. It remains unknown why it exists in such a remote place. It is speculated that there was a prehistoric settlement on this site, while the legendary Kegelberg hill and old mining tunnels can be found nearby.
    The building itself is of Romanesque origin, with the later extensive modifications showing ostensibly Gothic elements. The beautiful, stone-framed pointed-arch portal dates from that time, with its figurines of saints, grapevines and a zigzag band in the ogee, with a rod that ends to the left in a root and to the right in a shovel.
    The church interior underwent major renovation in the 17th century: the simple sandstone pulpit and richly carved altar date back to that time. Sadly, the free-standing statues were stolen by art thieves. The altarpiece by Orazio Giovanelli, showing St. Agatha and St. Anne with Jesus and Mary, dates back to 1619. Remains of old murals can also be seen on the church. The façade probably shows St. Christopher with the infant Jesus and scenes from the life of the patron saint, while inside parts of a nativity scene are visible.
    Location: Nova Ponente
    Opening times: The church is closed; the key is kept at the Unterkofelhof farm and may be collected from there.
    Churches & Monasteries
    The St. Valentin bull
    Kastelruth/Castelrotto, Dolomites Region Seiser Alm

    Once upon a time on a hilly knoll in St. Valentin, a bull began to scratch and scrabble in the ground. It delved all day long without rest until a wanderer chanced along the way. As he came closer, he saw the crown of an enormous bell. The bell was then hung in the church of St. Valentin. And from that day on, the bell was known as "The St. Valentin bull", forever to be feared and hated by witches, as its toll dispels their storms. In Latzfons, further up and to the right in the Eisack valley, the following bell-tale is well known: In days gone by, the local people wanted to move the bell from St. Pauls to Kastelruth. Having failed to move it from its spot even with 40 pairs of oxen heaving, the bell suddenly began to speak: Maria Anna is my name The elements, my domain All the weathers I proclaim And in St. Paul´s I will remain. And there, indeed, she remained!

    Churches & Monasteries
    Museum Steinegg
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Museum offers an unforgettable excursion into Tyrolean history. The rural life, its roots in religion, the various almost forgotten crafts, as well as the painful memories of the wars are only a part of the lovingly collected exhibits. On the journey through the old parlors, chambers and workrooms, you can feel the simple life up close and are fascinated by the way our ancestors dealt with nature.

    On normal weekdays, a reservation is required within 12 noon of the previous day; on weekends a reservation is obligatory until 5 p.m. on Thursday and until 48 hours before for public holidays.
    Reservation:
    +39 0471 619560 or online booking
    Museum of Steinegg
    Churches & Monasteries
    Chapel of St. Helena
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental
    The Chapel of St. Helena is particularly impressive on account of its rich frescoes, a major work of the Bolzano school of painting from around 1400. Art historians state that these are closely related to the murals in the Parish Church of Terlano and the Church of St. Catherine in Aica by Fiè. The Niederthor crest on the triumphal arch strongly suggests that the painting of St. Helena – like that in Terlan – was commissioned by the noble Niederthor family. Concealed behind paint for a long time, the coat of arms was once more revealed in 1885 and fully restored in 1938.
    The outer walls feature images of St. Helena, St. Christopher and a crucifixion group on the façade, while on the south wall towards the apse there are representations of Mary with the infant Jesus and the three Holy Virgins, Catherine, Barbara and Margaret.
    Inside the church, vaulted frescoes in the nave show the four evangelists with their respective symbols, each with an excerpt from his gospel. In the apse Christ appears enthroned as judge, surrounded by the symbols of the evangelists. The series of the twelve apostles below was partially destroyed during a subsequent extension of the windows. The triumphal arch points in the direction of the nave to the story of Cain and Abel, while the intrados depicts scenes from the Creation. The side walls of the nave feature images from the life of the Mother of God and Jesus’s childhood: the Annunciation, the Visit of Mary to Elisabeth, Mary and Joseph, the Adoration of the Magi, the Presentation at the Temple and the Flight into Egypt. On the west wall opposite the altar are St. Helena, St. Sebastian, a proclamation and the Bishops Ulrich and Wolfgang.
    The church is Romanesque in its basic features and probably goes back to the 12th century. The small, rough stone relief to the far right of the façade dates from the 14th century. In 1410 the church was re-consecrated following completion of the painting. In 1500 the tower was given its wide pointed-arch window; the deeper-lying, coupled round-arched windows were bricked up. The altar structure dates back to the first half of the 17th century; the altarpiece is signed “J. G. Plazer 1723”.
    The Church of St. Helena stands, according to legend, on silver ore. An ancient tradition tells of mining activities in the immediate vicinity of the church: G. Innerebner lists the church hill below the prehistoric settlements as a probable place of worship and orientation.
    A detailed description and interpretation of the frescoes appears in the colour guide “St. Helena near Nova Ponente” SB 21 (M. Frei).
    Churches & Monasteries
    Pilgrimage Maria Weißenstein
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental

    At an altitude of 1520m, Pietralba is the most significant place of pilgrimage in South Tyrol and among the region’s popular destinations, especially since the visit of Pope John Paul II in July 1988. Highlights include the large monastery and its collection of votive.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of Mary
    Bolzano/Bozen, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    It is the Cathedral of the Bolzano Bozen- Bressanone Brixen Diocese. It conceals the remains of an early Christian, Medieval and Romanesque (1180) basilica. A hundred years later works are commenced to build a new imposing building which is completed around 1420 by combining the expertise of workers of Lombardy with the gothic style brought by the Swabian expertise over the decades. The bell tower stand over the square, 65 metres tall, with a spire in openwork in sandstone by the Swabian architect Hans Lutz von Schussenried, who completed it between 1501 and 1519. To see: the cross built in Veronese style, the "Wine door", the Romanesque Portal with porch lions, the rose window, the fresco "Virgin with child" credited to Friedrich Pacher, inside the gothic pulpit, the baroque Chapel of the Three Maries.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen
    Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The parish church of Nova Ponente, a Gothic building dating from the 15th century, has an impressively beautiful sandstone cladding. The inscription in the choir vault gives its date of origin: the cornerstone was laid on 5 July 1455 by Pastor Johannes Steel. Below the inscription is the coat of arms of the Diocese of Trento with the eagle, along with that of the then Bishop Georg Hack with its thin branch, also chosen as the heraldic symbol of the municipality of Nova Ponente.

    The building was completed in sections, as suggested by the differences in the foundations and the sandstone cladding. Construction work was not completed until 1498, with the church consecrated on 16 September of the same year. In order to imagine it in its pure and original form, the new sacristy at the northeast corner and the organ loft with its outside staircase must be ignored. The interior of the church was vastly improved by the most recent renovation in the summer of 1975. The two neo-Gothic altars date from 1900, with a new organ installed in 1976.

    Of particular note in the church are the four old relief panels on the high altar, showing the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi, the Presentation at the Temple and the Death of the Virgin. The panels are from a famous large triptych, created around 1420 by the Master Hans von Judenburg for Bolzano’s Parish Church, as was the group of the Visitation on the wall of the choir. The main figures on the high altar – Our Lady of the Rosary and the church’s two patron saints - are beautiful works by the Innsbruck sculptor Dominikus Trenkwalder from around 1900. The relief figures of St. Barbara and St. Catherine as well as the relief panel of the Visitation, also on the choir walls, date back to around 1500. The sandstone pulpit from the early 16th century is held by Karl Atz in his “History of Art from Tyrol and Vorarlberg” to be one of the most beautiful of its kind in the entire land.

    Old relief medallions of the mysteries of the rosary are inserted into the neo-Gothic rosary altar; the altarpiece was created by Franz Unterberger. Franz Haider’s beautiful nativity figures can be seen at Christmastime on this altar: his figurines and statues of saints are to be found throughout the Reggelberg area and he was a long-time resident of Monte San Pietro. The bell tower is for the most part much older than the present-day church. It dates back to the Romanesque era; inside can clearly be seen two rows of coupled arched windows that were later walled up. The tower formerly belonged to the old parish church of St. Benedict, documented as early as 1265. Today’s cupola was added in 1793 after lightning badly damaged both the tower and the church roof.

    Another special feature of the church is that the pews have brass plaques, some with a rune-like mark next to the occupant’s name. These are the old house and farm marks of Nova Ponente. Each farm would use its mark to identify tools, grain sacks, logs and the like that were offered for sale. Many such marks can also be seen painted with red ochre on the outer walls of the church, now faded on account of the wind and rain. The impressive war memorial (1967) on the northern wall of the cemetery is by the South Tyrolean sculptor Martin Rainer, who was in 1976 awarded the Walther von der Vogelweide prize.

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Kathrein church
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The romanesque church called St. Kathrein has a gothic apse and dates from the thirteenth century. It has well-preserved frescoes from the fourteenth century and a winged altar in the late-Gothic Tyrolean style (which can only be see through an opening in the portal).

    The story

    Like many other churches in the region, the St. Kathrein church in Hafling was built on a site that was originally a pagan place of worship. Presumably there was already a small church standing here in the twelfth century, which was destroyed by fire in 1202. The only parts of the church that survived from the period before the church fire are the regularly stratified walls of the flat-roofed nave.

    Fifty years later, a Romanesque church had already come into being, which was newly consecrated in 1251. In the late Gothic period, the church was rebuilt again. Two hundred years later, in 1452, it was once again rebuilt and rededicated.

    The late-Gothic winged altar is a valuable decorative element of the church. The central part of the altar cabinet contains three wooden figures: the patron saint, St. Catherine, flanked by John the Baptist and Mary Magdalene.

    The Legend

    According to legend, the local people wanted to build a Christian church on this site. They charged two giants to procure stones. The giants, however, had promised to build at church in Lafenn at the exact same time. Having only one hammer between them, the two giants had to share. Eventually, a conflict arose between the pair over the hammer, so the Lafenn giant picked up an enormous boulder and threw it at the St. Catherine giant. The boulder missed its target, but can still be seen in the meadow near Sulfner, just below the church.

    Dates church tours 2022:
    30.05. | 13.06. | 27.06. | 04.07. | 11.07. | 18.07. | 25.07. | 08.08. | 16.08.* | 22.08. | 29.08. | 05.09. | 19.09. | 03.10. | 24.10. | 31.10.2022

    Churches & Monasteries
    Church of St. Anna
    Vöran/Verano, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Church of St. Anna in Aschl/Eschio, near Vöran/Verano, is a Romanesque Revival building that was dedicated on July 26th, 1905: St. Anne’s Day.

    A merchant, who hailed from Mölten/Meltina and had found prosperity in Bolzano/Bozen, founded the church. The curate of Vöran, Anton Locher, helped with the construction financially, buying a forest and a meadow for the small house of worship.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Parish Church of St. John in Hafling
    Hafling/Avelengo, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Parish Church of Hafling, which is first mentioned in documents dating from 1291, is dedicated to John the Baptist. The walls of the nave date from the same period while the Gothic chancel and tower, which can still be seen today, were added in the second half of the fifteenth century.

    The rededication took place on June 11th, 1469. In the seventeenth century, a barrel vault replaced the flat wooden ceiling. Of particular note is the remarkably large mural depicting St. John the Evangelist, which dates to around 1600. In the chancel arch, there is a precious fresco by Karl von Blaas. A few sculptures from the eighteenth century grace the church as well.

    The porphyry relief on the outside of the cemetery chapel, now the vestry, is a mystery. It depicts a man, a tree, a flower, and a wheel-shaped ornament. The enigmatic relief is often associated with an agrarian devotion to the sun, but a precise interpretation has yet to be firmly established.

    Churches & Monasteries
    St. Peter by the Hill
    Völs am Schlern/Fiè allo Sciliar, Dolomites Region Seiser Alm

    On a small hill, in a sunny position, there is the settlement of Peterbühl. The hill, which tower is an important historical site. Here are the origins of Völs am Schlern and the entire region of the Schlern. People settled here many thousands of years before Christ. Today, the chapel of St. Peter am Bühl stands somewhat apart in the greenery. Above the door you can see the crossed keys of St. Peter, and next to them the coats of arms of the Thun and Firmian families: they are of Regina von Thun and Katharina von Firmian, the two wives of Leonhard the Elder of Völs. The altar from the 16th century is on display in the Völs Parish Museum. The decorative paintings are made in the year of 1600 in style of renaissance.

    A beautiful place for a leisurely walk directly in Völs am Schlern. Several seating options provide a relaxed atmosphere and invite you to relax. A small children's playground can also be found along the circular path, as well as a statue. Sometimes there are some goats that come to the Peterbühl and provide a good company. In summer you can take a guided tour to see the Peterbühl church from the inside.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Welschnofen Parish Church
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The current parish church was dedicated in May 1967 after a 2-year construction phase. It is a modern church with a low aisle under a sharp, gabled roof. The parish tower (37 m high) is a testimony to the oldest building activity in the village. The foundation dates back to the 13th century. In 1741, it was renovated from the belfry upward. The tower was given its octagonal center and its onion dome in 1741.

    Churches & Monasteries
    Capuchin Church
    Bruneck/Brunico, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones

    The Capuchin monastery (since 1626) and the Capuchin Church are kept very simply, in line with the principles of the order. Continuing along the Dantestrasse, at the road junction to Dietenheim you will find one of the oldest and most beautiful shrines in Tyrol.

    Holy Mass Sunday and ecclesiastical holidays at 08.00 am in German language and at 09.00 am in Italian language.
    Mon - Fri: at 09.00 am in German language

    Places to See
    Chapel Kasererbild
    Karneid/Cornedo all'Isarco, Dolomites Region Eggental

    the little chapel Kasererbild is situated between the villagges of Collepietra and San Valentino in Campo

     

    Churches & Monasteries
    Dominican Church
    Bolzano/Bozen, Bolzano/Bozen and environs

    The Dominican order established itself in Bolzano/Bozen in 1272 and built a church with a single nave inside a vast convent which branches off into different chapels, some of which have been lying in ruins, and a beautiful cloister. A part of the ancient structure houses the Music Academy shich, indidentally, Hosts the prestigious international piano competition Ferruccio Busoni. Also present is the Stadtgalerie, an art gallery which holds different exhibitions and other important cultural Events. The church has gothic archways, as well as baroque elements from the 17th and 18th century (such as the altar piece of Guercino to the left of the Major altar, which was bought by the merchants of Bolzano). The church preserves prestigious examples of paintings from Bolzano from the 14th century which can be found on the oriental side of the coister and on the western wall of the Church, but the real artistic jewel of the building is the Chapel of St. John, the Long and narrow side chapel which holds the cycle of frescoes of those painters who took Giotto es their role model, the so called "School of Giotto". Of particular interest are those scenes from the life of St. Nicholas on the last part of the oriental qall, and the fresco of the "Triumph over death " in the firs part of the same wall, the flight from Egypt on the western wall and the torture of St. Bartholomew on the northern wall. The entire chapel, decorated with individual frescoes of various themes, is a splendid example of 14th century art as practised in the Region. In the nearby coister you can also admire some frescoes by Friedrich Pacher which go back as far as 496.

    Churches & Monasteries
    S. Joseph chapel
    Welschnofen/Nova Levante, Dolomites Region Eggental

    The Joseph chapel at the 'Moartalalmwiese' (Moar Valley alpine meadow) was built in 1897 by the Association for Alpine Hotels. In the summer of the years prior to World War I, a mass was held there every day. For this reason, the management of the 'Grand Hotel Carezza' employed a hotel chaplain. In 1976, the parish of Nova Levante bought the chapel. Thereafter, the little church was renovated and extended. Today, it offers space for 200 people. The renovated chapel was consecrated on the 18th June 1983.

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21