The history of Schenna Castle dates back nearly 650 years. Situated across from Tyrol Castle at the entry to the Passeier (Passirio) Valley, it has itself become one of the focal points of Tyrolean history. Built in the 14th century and expanded until the 16th century, it was purchased in 1844 by Archduke Johann of Austria whose descendants still own it to this day. The museum is dedicated to the history of Tyrol with the central topics being Archduke Johann and Andreas Hofer. In addition, there are various collections: from medieval weapons to 17th cen. firearms to French cannons, and rich exhibits of furniture and paintings from the original furnishings.