The Alpine City – Cooler and Less Mediterranean
The landmark of Vipiteno is the Zwölferturm tower, which is 46 meters high and stands in the centre of the city. It has connected the old town with the new town since 1472. Near the tower is the splendid hall of the Rathaus (built 1468-1473). In the large courtyard of the town hall, there is a a stele of the god Mithras as well as a Roman milestone.
In the south of Vipiteno, it’s worthwhile to visit the Multscher Museum. Here you can see the valuable parts of the altar that was created in 1456 by Hans Multscher of Ulm. The most famous sculptor of his time fashioned it especially for the parish church in Vipiteno. Part of the building is home to the Municipal Museum, which presents the history of Vipiteno as well as urban craftwork.
Some of the most historically important and magnificent castles in South Tyrol are located just a stone’s throw from the city. Schloss Wolfsthurn, the only South Tyrolean Baroque palace, houses the State Museum of Hunting and Fishing. In the halls, which still have the original furniture, there is an extensive collection of artistic and historical exhibits on hunting and fishing. Perched on a rocky hill, not far from the centre, is Reifenstein Castle, an example of a typical medieval fortress. No fewer than ten perfectly preserved halls can be visited here. Just opposite, but slightly higher up, is Sprechenstein Castle, which features visually distinctive building parts.
Vipiteno was also an important miners' town. The life of the miners who used to work in the area can be felt in the Mining Museum in the Ridnauntal valley, just a few kilometres away.