Built on the Passer Promenade, the old Kurhaus wellness center is the symbol of the city of Merano as a spa town and one of the finest multi-purpose buildings on the southern side of the Alps. Its rooms regularly house cultural and social events, conferences, exhibitions, celebrations and galas. The Kurhaus was built in the second half of the nineteenth century. The original part, the Pavillon des Fleurs, was inaugurated in 1874 and has existed practically unchanged to this day. The new wing, which included the Kursaal, a huge hall designed by Vienna Successionist architect Friedrich Ohmann, was inaugurated on 31 December 1914. The access at the Kurhaus is allowed only during events.