The St. Nikolaus Church
Monte di Mezzo/Mittelberg, Ritten/Renon, Bolzano/Bozen and environs
Short guided tour in German/Italian with Eveline Bellutti.
Meeting point: at the church in Mittelberg.
Duration: 20 minutes,
Cost: € 2.
The St. Nikolaus church in Mittelberg is first mentioned in 1289. This church was enlarged in the gothic style in 1400 and has kept its appearance from that time. The tower is somewhat later than the church and was probably built in the 14th Century. It is made of natural stones laid in regular patterns. Possibly in 1400 the upper levels were altered to the gothic style and the existing windows date from that period. In 1744 a rather large onion dome was added. It does not fit the building but is still quite pleasing. In 1976, during the restoration of the church and the tower, the Romanesque masonry was discovered.
In this phase of restoration also came to light a large cycle of medieval frescoes that reproduce scenes of the passion of the Lord, the twelve apostles and prophets