- Mix the yeast and sugar together with warm water and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, rye flour, salt, oil, aniseed, and cumin; knead well using a machine.
- Cover, and let mixture rise in the oven while the light is on for 30 minutesat 35 degrees Celsius.
- Marinate the figs, raisins, sultanas, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, citron, candied orange peel (soak in white wine beforehand) in rum and honey for at least an hour, until the Zelten acquires a good aroma.
- Add the lemon and orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg.
- Mix the marinated fruits and nuts into the dough thoroughly using a kneading machine
- Form the dough into round or elongated cakes and decorate with walnuts and almonds.
- Place cakes on a baking sheet and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven, brushing frequently with honey or sugar syrup, until they take on a rich brown colour.
- Let cool. Decorate with candied cherries then cover in plastic wrap.
Baking temperature: 170 degrees Celsius, cooking time: 40 minutes