Ga meteen naar de inhoud
toegevoegd aan favorieten
verwijderd uit favorieten
Helaas is er een probleem opgetreden. Probeer het opnieuw.
Uw account wordt aangemaakt
Je account is succesvol aangemaakt en je bent nu ingelogd
U bent uitgelogd
Geselecteerde filters
    Afstand in km

    Alle forten en kastelen

    Als je door Zuid-Tirol reist, kun je genieten van dramatische uitzichten op 800 forten, kastelen en statige residenties, waarvan de grootste concentratie zich in de buurt van Bolzano/Bozen bevindt. Een bezoek aan de vesting Franzensfeste (Festung Franzensfeste) is indrukwekkend, terwijl het vermakelijke Touriseum, het Zuid-Tiroolse museum voor toerisme, is gehuisvest in kasteel Trauttmansdorff. Als je meer wilt weten over de geschiedenis van Zuid-Tirol, ga dan naar Schloss Tirol.
    Forts & Castles
    The Coz residence
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    The Coz residence is a short distance away from San Linert. The name "Coz" appears to be of pre-Latin origin and comes from the word "koltju" although we do not know where this word comes from or what it means. This is one of the oldest farms in the area.

    The Coz residence we see today was built by the Colz family in 1604. The residential part was renovated in 1996/97. The Colz family sold the farm to the Winkler family from St. Lorenzen in 1695 and they sold it to Jakob Irsara in 1754 and his family still own the farm.

    The house is a rectangular form and a hipped roof with two wings. The decorations in the house chapel are very valuable; built in 1613 we can see scenes from the creation, the life of Moses, the Crucifixion and the copper snake. On the external wall we can see two saints; St. Christopher and St. Florian.

    In addition to the living quarters there are also smaller buildings such as the corn silo, the smithy and the fodder store.

    Now the Coz residence is privat and can be visited outside doing the culture trail in Badia.

    Forts & Castles
    Maultasch Castle Ruin (Neuhaus)
    Terlan/Terlano, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    Maultasch Castle Ruin (Neuhaus) was probably built in the early 13th century as a double castle, but shows only ruined walls today. These have been carefully restored so that visitors can imagine the castle life at earlier time.

    Forts & Castles
    Old tavern in Badia
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    The "Ciasanöia" is the old tavern and was an important meeting point for the residents of Badia.

    It is similar to a castel and was built in 1614 for the nuns of Sonnenburg (Castel near Brunico). It was the seat of this Domination.

    Today the house is privat and not open for the public.

    Forts & Castles
    Castle Ehrenburg
    Kiens/Chienes, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones

    The Castle Ehrenburg was the residence of the Sirs von Ehrenburg, who were later called von Künigl. It was built in the 12th century. During the 15th century, the castle was extended, and in the year 1512, it was extended again with the arcade yard. In the year 1732, it was converted into a baroque castle. The big hall, the bay windows, the wooden paneling, and the paintings on the ceiling, as well as the castle chapel are very remarkable. The castle is not open to visitors.

    Only visible from the outside.

    Forts & Castles
    Palazzo Longo
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The remarkable Baroque residence of the Barons of Longo dates back to the beginning of the 18th century. It presents a simple façade and a Baroque portal which can be reached through a two-winged staircase. The stone frame of the portal is decorated with two putti and a female bust. The interiors are richly decorated: high reliefs in stucco by Franz Hannibal Bittner and frescoes by Giacomo Antonio Delai, two artists who worked in the Bolzano/Bozen area from 1730. The palace also includes a unique park that extends to the forest behind the village.


    Places to See
    Ancient craftsmen zone with the old "Stricker-Mill"
    Lüsen/Luson, Brixen/Bressanone and environs

    At Kaserbach, where hydroelectric power was once used, lies the former artisan zone that characterized village life back then. Our path leads past the smithy, the knitter mill and the old sawmill. At that time, the grain of the Lüsner farmers was ground in the mill. The "Stricker mill", whose historical roots reach back to the year 1645, has remained true to its original function until today.

    Forts & Castles
    Open air museum "Anderter Alpe"
    Sexten/Sesto, Dolomites Region 3 Zinnen

    Open air museum "Anderter Alpe":

    Many areas of the Dolomites are in the process of setting up projects to enhance the historical testimony of the Great War. Sesto di Pusteria was both victim and protagonist of this tragedy. Sesto di Pusteria is the only place of Germanic language and culture belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Empire to find itself at the front line, undergoing forced evacuation and displacement, and then, together with other places of the South Tyrol, being annexed to Italy. This chance set of events makes Sesto an emblematic place to tell the history of this period, not only for the Tyrolean citizens of today but for all the inhabitants of Europe. The vicissitudes of the civilian population and of the soldiers during this extremely important moment in history have so far surprisingly been neglected, undoubtedly because of the upheaval following the end of the war and annexation to Italy. Given the considerable interest in the First World War that is now emerging in Europe, Sesto has unique and inestimable contribution to make. The Associazione Bellum Aquilarum (Bellum Aquilarum historical association) aims to save from oblivion the surviving testimony to this tragedy in order to preserve it so that it can be handed down to future generations, not only to the young people of Pusteria, but also to those living in places once belonging to the former Austro-Hungarian Empire that were the scenes of battle here. The tragedy experienced so deeply at Sesto and in Pusteria is askin to that of many other areas of Europe which were on the front line or which, after the war, witnessed the havoc brougth on by territorial annexation. The ensuing cultural, historical and political schism was immense; without doubt, these events changed Pusteria but also Europe itself, and today - in a European perspective enabling the age-old tensions issuing from the war to be overcome - preserving these memories can aid us in the construction of our common future.

    Forts & Castles
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The most interesting building in Andreas-Hofer-Street from a historical point of view is surely the "Ballhaus." This construction functioned as a warehouse and repository for goods passing through Neumarkt/Egna, which, by disposition of the reigning sovereign Duke Otto, were obliged to pay duty and remain there for a night. Above the semi-circular stone framed arch of the portal, the erroneous date of 1372 appears along with the Egna coat of arms. In fact, the Ballhaus was built some 150 years later. You could say that the Ballhaus is the symbol of the privileges which Egna enjoyed until the 18th century and which permitted it to develop into the great and beautiful village we know today. Currently, following very careful restoration, this building is the site of the community library for the German-speaking population, the "Bibliothek im Ballhaus."

    Forts & Castles
    House Seeber at Egna
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    In the Middle Ages, Seeber House was part of the sovereign freehold with a barn and court cellar, and until the 19th century it was the seat of the keeper of the court of Enn and Kaldiff, as well as the place of payment of the "Zehent" tax (tithe) in kind to the manor. Roof surfaces, pillars and vaults of the farm buildings are partly originally preserved. Around the year 1600, the residential house was rebuilt. Above the doors there are the coats of arms of the court guardian families. The last incumbent was Vinzenz von Pühler, a friend of Andreas Hofer.

    Forts & Castles
    Farnstead Finailhof
    Schnals/Senales, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Farmstead Finailhof is one of the oldest farms in Schnalstal Valley, first records date back to the 11th century. It is known for its rare visit in 1416. Those days the farmers harbored Duke Frederick IV by employing him as a shepherd. Until 1967, the farm was highest one in Europe which cultivated cereals. To preserve the rural culture and architecture the entire farm became a listed building in 1981. Today the family Gurschler lives with four generations on the farm and welcomes guests in their „Stube“ and a huge sunny terrace with a great view over the lake Vernago/Vernagt.

    Places to See
    The Hill of the Holy Sepulchre
    Villnöss/Funes, Dolomites Region Villnösstal

    The Hill of the Holy Sepulchre is the most beautiful viewpoint of Tiso. The Holy Grave Chapel was built as a baroque building at the end of the 17th century. In it, the suffering and death of Jesus Christ was worshiped. After the entry of Italy into the First World War in May 1915, fortifications were built here on the order of the Austrian Empire army. They should serve as a defense against a possible invasion of Italian troops in the Isarco Valley, if the Dolomite front should fall. The trenches and a bunker were built by Russian prisoners. However, the defenses were not used during the First World War. However, during the final months of World War II, the bunker was used by the village population as protection against air raids and bombing.

    Forts & Castles
    "Ciastel Colz" Castle
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    Colz Castle, also called Rubatsch Residence, is a massive building, which boasts a curtain wall with four round towers and many embrasures.

    The castle dates back to the year 1536, when Ferdinand I. permitted Hans von Rubatsch to build himself a residence. At the end of the 16th century the castle entered into the possession of the Lords of Colz. In the course of time, the building served many functions, like the one of a poorhouse. Finally, it entered into the possession of a farmer’s family.

    Colz Castle gained some popularity thanks to the knight Franz Wilhelm Prack zu Asch, also called “Gran Bracun“, who lived in the Ladin valleys between 1573 and 1581 and was known for his cruel but heroic battles.

    Finally, Colz Castle was restored, today it is privat. In summer some concerts are organised in the courtyard of the castel.

    Forts & Castles
    Sotciastel farm
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    If we take the path above the Church in Badia, after about half an hour, we arrive at a junction; one road leads to Valgiarëi and the other to Sotciastel. The name of this farm is easy to  explain; the Ciastel farm is further above. As it's the case in many other places the name of the settlement below is given with the preposition "sot" (below).

    In the 1980s Sotciastel became famous as the result of research carried out by the University of Trento in cooperation with the Provincial Monument Office and the Ladin Cultural Institute "Micurá de Rü". These excavations proved that a Bronze Age settlement including permanent living quarters once stood here. The kind of articles found: parts of weaving looms, kitchen implements, agricultural tools, jewellery, pins and awls lead us to believe that the settlement was agricultural and pastoral, was inhabited the whole year round and that above all sheep, goats, oxen and cattle were reared.

    The settlement in Sotciastel appears to have been one of the first in the valley where people lived for a longer period of time.

    Forts & Castles
    Restaurant Sichelburg
    Pfalzen/Falzes, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones
    Be inspired culinary delights! A visit to the Castle Sichelburg with Mirko Mair is the combination of indulgence and history. Experience the magnificent paneled rooms and the impressive vaults of Sichelburg contemporary cuisine in a historic setting.
    Places to See
    Zwölferturm tower at Sterzing
    Sterzing/Vipiteno, Sterzing/Vipiteno and environs

    The famous landmark of Sterzing, the city tower, is widely known as “Zwölferturm”. Its name is attributed to the fact that its bell rings the citizens for lunchbreak. Consisting of gray granite blocks from the area, it was erected over the city gate from 1468 to 1472 according to the design of Hans Feur. Two marble tablets above the archway remind us of the laying of the foundation stone by the Duke Sigismund of Austria back in 1469. It became a symbol of the economic and cultural boom in the city in the north of South Tyrol and has established itself to this day as the symbol for the city of Sterzing. 

    At certain events, the tower can also be visited also from the inside, e.g. during the Cristmas Market, in summer during the lantern parties or at the famous dumpling festival ("Knödelfest"). 

    Forts & Castles
    Farm Murin
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    Families which have owned the same land for more than 200 years are awarded a "Deed of inheritance" by the Province of Bolzano-South Tyrol. The Nagler family has been honoured in this way.

    The original name was "Murin da Coz" because grain from the Coz farm was milled ("murin" means mill in Ladin) here. The oldest written documents mention Hof Palua (The Palua farm) in about 1566, Pares in 1780 and finally Murin. The first settlement can be dated 1296; the saw and the grain mill probably needed water power. In 1771 the "Brochia" family from Longiarü settled here. In common with many other family names in Val Badia, "Brochia" was reinvented in German, in this case, as "Nagler".

    In those days priests as well judges came from places outside Ladinia and they could not speak Ladin which led them to renaming their family names; most written documents were set out in German or Italian. Before 1800 the Ladin language was used relatively rarely in written documents.

    Now the Murin farm is private and can be visited outside doing the culture trail in Badia.

    Forts & Castles
    The Sompunt residence
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    Sompunt is located between Badia and La Villa and was an important residence for the families Mayrhofen and Koburg (rich families in the 19th century).
    The house was already mentioned in the year 1296 and it is painted with decorations of the 16th century.

    Today the house is privat and inhabited.

    Forts & Castles
    Seat of the district association in Egna
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    Farther down the street, you come to house number 22, today, the seat of the District Association of Unterland/Bassa Atesina. Here again we find judge Peter Ganel's coat of arms and the date of construction, 1583, on the portal. The building distinguishes itself by the refined character of the interior, the window and door frames in stone, as well as by the elegance of the vaulted and beamed ceilings.


    Forts & Castles
    The labyrinth of Dlijia vedla
    La Val, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    In 2022, on the initiative of the meditation group of La Val, and under the direction of labyrinth expert Gernot Candolini, a labyrinth was built in the centre of the area occupied by the former church of San Genesio. It is a simple Gothic labyrinth, consisting of five paths traced with brook stones. Many things here in Dlijia vedla remind us of the transience of life: the remains walls of the old church, the abandoned cemetery.

    Memento mori - Memento vivere!

    Everything passes quickly, and the moment never stops. So be shrewd and aware, enjoy the view, feel the hope that lurks in life, let yourself be inspired and blessed by goodness and change.

    "This place here is a place of power, you must make use of it" Dr. Karl Gruber, Regional Conservator


    Forts & Castles
    Castel Goldrain
    Latsch/Laces, Vinschgau/Val Venosta

    Coldrano Castle was once the ancestral seat home of Count Hendl and nowadays an educational center. The architectural history of the castle is unable to trace a precise date of its inauguration; however, it is assumed that the palace was built after 1323. Coldrano Castle is a three-wing building with an inner courtyard, which is surrounded by an almost rectangular shaped wall and by rounded corner towers.

    Forts & Castles
    Piazza della Libertá
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    Piazza della Libertà at Egna. The nucleus of the hamlet developed around the Piazza della Libertà/Freiheitsplatz, which, after being used for years as a parking area, was the star of an important restoration project. The ancient well was renovated and the “Sas del poz”, a calcareous monolith probably used in conjunction with ancient German judicial tradition, was reinstated.

    Forts & Castles
    Auer/Ora, The South Tyrolean Wine Road
    The buildings of the "Happacherhof" estate can be dated back to 1604. Originally, the estate consisted of two farmsteads belonging to two different families. One of them was the Happacher family; for several generations, the mayors of the municipality of Auer/Ora came from this family. In 1911, the Theodor Steinkeller acquired the estate. His family was employed in the fruit trade and supplied the Habsburger monarchy from Bolzano/Bozen. Due to the Great Depression of the 1920s and 30s, the family was unable to keep the estate. In 1938, the farmstead was put up for auction and bought by the "Ente di Rinascita," an organization that focused on buying farms in South Tyrol and making them available to interested Italian investors. It sold the estate to the Rovereto-based Botta family. A family supervisor ran the farm, but the family did not invest in its maintenance. In February 1984, the farm was purchased by the provincial administration for use as a "practice farm for the secondary school for agriculture" and named "Happacherhof" after the original owner family. Today, it is an important place for students of agriculture to practice their trade. The extensive restoration
    Forts & Castles
    "Malerhaus" (Painters House) in St. Martin/S. Martino
    St.Martin in Passeier/San Martino in Passiria, Meran/Merano and environs

    Above the village is the Malerhaus. Besides the three fresco paintings that adorn the main facade of the building, nothing reminds us that more than 100 years (1719-1845) have passed since a painting school was located here.

    Tip: still-existing works can be found in the Pfarkirche St. Martin parish church and the Turmhaus building in the village square.

    Mount Calvary
    Kastelruth/Castelrotto, Dolomites Region Seiser Alm

    An unique group of holy buildings is standing on Mount Calvary, also called Kofel/Colle at Kastelruth/Castelrotto. From the village a path leads among porphyry rocks and beautiful nature. Several chapels line the pilgrimage, which ends at the Roman tower. The seven chapels show pictures of Jesus and his mother, the Mount of Olives, the scourging, crowning with thorns and the handwashing and the Entombment. (Nice walk - 20 minutes)

    Forts & Castles
    Palazzo Zenobio
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    The building in baroque style became the residence of the Venetian Counts Zenobio in 1729, after they acquired it from the Cazan lords. The façade is decorated with the coats of arms of the family that held the court of Enn and Kaldiff between 1648 and 1830. The interiors are arranged symmetrically around a central staircase and have magnificent stuccoed ceilings.

    Forts & Castles
    The hamlets (les viles)
    Badia, Dolomites Region Alta Badia

    The hamlets are farming communities spread over the slopes of Val Badia at an altitude of between 1200 and 1700 metres.

    They differ from typical farms in the rest of South Tyrol in their concentrated form as well as their basic structure and administration.

    The space under the bridge leading to the barn and the paths that link everything together belong to all the farmers in the hamlet.
    The surrounding field are devided so that each family can earn a living.

    The farm houses are located one next to the other in the hamlets and next to them the fodder stores, the corn silo, the wood shed, the well and a small chapel.

    Forts & Castles
    Ciastel Osteria Restaurant
    Al Plan/San Vigilio, Dolomites Region Kronplatz/Plan de Corones
    Enjoy good home-made food in our traditional country inn. We serve varied menus with biological products from our farm.


    Forts & Castles
    Klosterhof Vill
    Neumarkt/Egna, The South Tyrolean Wine Road

    In the Middle Ages, the "Klosterhof" in the Vill/Villa was probably the property of the Augustinian Canons' Monastery of San Michele all'Adige. From 1560, it was owned by Anna Regina Recordin zu Radeck. In 1740, it was acquired by Josef A. v. Feldmannsdorf. From 1762 to 1908, it was owned by the nobles of the v. Vilas family. Since then, it has been the farmstead and winery of the Pernter family. It is a stately two-story building and one of the most beautiful wine farms in the country. The current form dates back to the 17th century.

    Forts & Castles
    Sandwirt in St. Leonhard/S. Leonardo
    St.Leonhard in Passeier/San Leonardo in Passiria, Meran/Merano and environs

    The Sandwirt is the birthplace of the Tyrolean freedom fighter, Andreas Hofer. Today an inn stands on the location, with the farmhouse parlor of the old inn building particularly worth seeing.

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11