Parish Church of San Giovanni/St. Johann
The village of San Giovanni in Valle Aurina/Ahrntal Valley is named after St. John the Baptist, to whom this baroque parish church is dedicated. The church and its imposing domed tower, built by architect Joseph Aben in 1783-1788, are visible from afar. The striking building, which has an imposing domed tower and bells that have a particularly beautiful sound, has been very well maintained right up to the present day. Visitors will find it one of San Giovanni’s most notable buildings. Franz Joseph Schöpf did the paintings in the cupolas as well as the oil paintings behind the high altar. Oberkofler did the frescoes of St. John the Baptist in the arcades of the church cemetery.