Useful Information from A-Z

Here’s a summary of all the information you might need for your stay in South Tyrol.

You’ll find all you need to know to get to South Tyrol here.

Latest traffic information (German/Italian only)

Motorway toll

A charge, dependent on how many kilometres you’ve driven, is payable on the Brennero/Brenner-Bolzano/Bozen-Salorno/Salurn motorway. As you enter the motorway you take a ticket and you pay on exit either by cash or credit card.

Car rental

Car rental is available mainly in the major towns and cities. You’ll find a good overview on the How To Get There page


In general, in the major towns and cities parking is only permitted in the spaces provided. Most short stay car parks are Pay & Display indicated by a sign with a blue surround; in most towns there are also specially designated car parks and garages. Free parking can often be found outside towns and sometimes there’s a shuttle bus into the centre. For example, it’s worth using the “Mitte” car park for a visit to Bolzano/Bozen since the car park charges there are much more reasonable than in the centre, and free bike hire is also available.

Filling stations

There’s an extensive network of filling stations and almost one in two sells LPG. The only hydrogen filling station is in Bolzano/Bozen. You’ll find all you need to know about electric vehicles at


There are usually taxis outside the major railway stations. Otherwise it’s worth asking in your hotel for the number of a taxi firm.

  • Taxi office in Bolzano/Bozen: 0039 471 98 11 11
  • Taxi office in Merano/Meran: 0039 473 212013

Traffic regulations

In principle the following speed limits apply on the roads:

  • Built-up areas: 50 km/h
  • State roads: 90 km/h
  • Motorways: 130 km/h; Brennero/Brenner-Bolzano/Bozen section: 110 km/h

In Italy you’re obliged to carry a safety vest.

On motorways and country roads (out of built-up areas) you must drive with your lights on even during the day. The legal alcohol level is 0.5 per mil.

Winter tyres & snow chains

In South Tyrol winter tyres must be fitted when driving on all main and state roads from 15 November to 15 April incl. If there is snow, slush or ice on the road, all vehicles must in principle be driven only if fitted with winter tyres or snow chains. Road signs providing the relevant information must be obeyed. The latest information about mandatory winter equipment and whether mountain passes are open is to be found at (German/Italian only).

Association of South Tyrolean Mountain and Ski Guides:

United Kingdom:

The British Consulate in Milan
Via San Paolo, 7
20121 Milano
Tel: 0039 02 723001
Fax: 0039 02 86465081

Consulate General of the United States
Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10
20121 Milano
Tel: 0039 02 29035-1 

Honorary Consul of Ireland
Piazza S. Pietro in Gessate 2
20122 Milan
Tel: 0039 02 551 88848


For travellers from the EU and Schengen countries there is no passport control on entry. You must be able to present your passport or identity card as travel documentation. There are no restrictions on the export of local or foreign currencies. You must, however, declare amounts over 10,000 Euros.

Many travellers from non-EU countries arrive by plane outside of South Tyrol. For entry into South Tyrol from Innsbruck (Austria), for example, no additional documents are needed. For entry into the European Union as a whole, you’ll find further information on the following page:

As a rule businesses in South Tyrol are closed on public holidays, except for individual shops in the major towns and cities. The following public holidays are important in South Tyrol:

  • New Year’s Day (1.01.)
  • Epiphany (6.01.)
  • Easter Monday
  • Liberation Day (25.04.)
  • May Day (1.05.)
  • Whit Monday
  • Republic Day (2.06.)
  • Ascension Day (15.08.)
  • All Saints’ Day (1.11.)
  • Feast of the Immaculate Conception (8.12.)
  • Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25. & 26.12.)

You’ll find the latest school calendar with information about public and school holidays at (German/Italian only). 

As in Italy, the currency in South Tyrol is the Euro. Especially in the major towns and cities you’ll find lots of ATMs where you can withdraw cash using an EC-card or credit card. At many filling stations, especially outside the usual opening times, payment by credit card or debit card is the norm. Most businesses and hotels accept credit cards.

Tips in bars, cafés and restaurants are basically not expected. If you wish to tip, 5% to 10% of the bill is the norm. If there’s already a cover or service charge - as is the case in many restaurants - there’s no need to tip.

When settling your hotel bill or paying in shops, cash payments of more than €3,000 are not accepted.

Medical care in South Tyrol is in principle very good.

For EU citizens the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is all you need. Should you need to see a doctor during your holiday, it’s best to pay for the consultation yourself in advance and then reclaim the cost from your insurer, assuming you’ve taken out adequate cover.

Chemists are to be found in many towns in South Tyrol. As a rule they are open Monday to Friday (9 am – 1 pm, 4 – 7 pm) and Saturday (9 am – 1 pm). Duty chemists are also available at weekends and on public holidays. There’s a very simple search for the nearest chemists on the following page (German/Italian only). The related app is also highly recommended.

App: IOS -
Android -

In South Tyrol there are seven public hospitals, the largest of which is in South Tyrol's capital city of Bolzano/Bozen. You’ll find all you need to know about the hospitals at (German/Italian only)

  • Dialling code Italy: 0039
  • Rescue service & mountain rescue: 118 (most important number!)
  • European emergency number: 112
  • Fire brigade: 115
  • Police: 113
  • Carabinieri: 112

The Brennero/Brenner and Resia/Reschen border crossings are open all year round. Other mountain passes such as the Timmelsjoch, Penser Joch or Stilfserjoch pass are closed in the winter months. The period of closure and the requirement to use snow chains are dependent on snow conditions. The South Tyrolean Verkehrsmeldezentrale (Traffic Centre) provides up-to-date information on driving conditions ( (German/Italian only), Tel +39 0471 200198).

Shops and supermarkets
Shop and supermarket opening times vary depending on the size of the town where you are. In principle you need to be aware that shops tend to close for lunch in most places. Typical hours of business are: Monday to Friday: 9.00/9.30 am – 12.00/12.30 pm, 2.30 – 6.30/7 .00 pm, Saturday: 9.00/9.30 am – 12.00/1.00 pm. The larger shops and supermarkets in the cities are often open all day and also on Saturday afternoons 

It’s advisable to check directly with the relevant museum on opening times. Public museums are usually closed on Mondays. Museums also tend to have limited opening hours in the winter months. You’ll find up-to-date information directly from the relevant museum or on the homepage

In many tourist areas restaurants do not have a one-day closing during the season. Typical eating times in restaurants are between midday and 2 pm and 7 to 9 pm. 

You can buy stamps in post offices and at tobacconists. Postcards and letters can be posted in postboxes or directly at a post office.

Smoking in public buildings, bars and restaurants is prohibited in Italy.

In South Tyrol there are three official languages: Italian, German and Ladin. You’ll find more precise information about the languages here. In the larger towns and cities lots of people also understand and speak English, but in rural and remote areas this is not always the case.

South Tyrol and the whole of Italy are in the Central European Time (CET = GMT +01:00).

Within the European Union EU citizens are entitled freely to import and export goods for their personal consumption. The following guidance on quantities should not, however, be exceeded: 90 litres of wine, 800 cigarettes, 10 litres of spirits. For non-EU citizens goods to the value of €300 or €450 (for those travelling by plane or sea) may be imported for their personal consumption without declaration. For alcohol and tobacco goods the following limits apply (200 cigarettes, 1 litre of alcohol > 22% proof or 2 litres < 22% proof. With regard to exports from Italy, there are no significant restrictions in terms of value. Under certain conditions it is possible as a non-EU citizen to be VAT-exempt.

The “Dolomiten” daily is the most read newspaper in German in South Tyrol ( The „FF“ is published weekly and is also in German ( The most popular Italian daily is „Alto Adige“ ( The most comprehensive online news portal is But it is not available in English.