Hay and wellbeing
The hay bath, an ancient rural restorative treatment.
Because of the intense UV radiation, grass and herbs such as arnica, balm, thyme and plenty of others grown at 6,000 feet elevation are packed with proteins and essential oils. Physicians harnessed the power of the hay for their patients and the hay bath was born, now used in a variety of beauty and health care treatments.
Hay baths usually take around 20 minutes. Patients are cocooned in grass which has been moistened, after which a fermentation takes place raising the temperature to around 40-50°C, though the treatment is far more hygienic than it sounds!
Many places in South Tyrol offer hay baths:
- Hotel Heubad at Fiè allo Sciliar/Völs am Schlern
- Hotel Weihrerhof at Soprabolzano/Oberbozen on the Renon/Ritten plateau
- Mountain Resort Patzenfeld at Sesto Pusteria/Sexten
- Sport & Kurhotel Bad Moos at Sesto-Moso/Sexten-Moos
- Hotel Cavallino Bianco at San Candido/Innichen
- Hotel & country Obereggen at Obereggen
- Hotel Wiesnerhof in Val di Vizze
- Hotel del Bosco Tann at Collalbo/Klobenstein on the Renon/Ritten plateau
- Hotel Mühlbacherhof at Lagundo/Algund
- Aktiv & Vitalhotel Taubers Unterwirt at Velturno/Feldthurns
- Wellnesshotel Seeleiten at Caldaro/Kaltern
- Berghotel Moseralm at Carezza/Karersee
- Cavallino Bianco Family Spa Grandhotel at Ortisei/St. Ulrich
- Terme Merano/Therme Meran thermal baths & spa complex at Merano/Meran