Markets in South Tyrol
One of the nicest ways to get to know a region is to visit one of the local markets. In South Tyrol, the spectrum ranges from daily markets such as the fruit market in Bolzano/Bozen, to farmers' markets and weekly markets, to traditional markets like the world famous market in Stegona/Stegen near Brunico/Bruneck.
Discovering South Tyrol’s markets
The range of products available in South Tyrol’s markets extends from delicious homemade bread to South Tyrolean smoked ham and tasty fruits and vegetables, and from traditional crafts to Italian fashion and commodities. In many towns there are weekly farmers' markets where one can buy regional products direct from the source and receive more specific information about the goods. In addition to food products, the weekly markets in larger cities offer a wide variety of clothing, crafts and everyday items. The market located close to the Siegesplatz in Bolzano/Bozen is one such example. Traditional markets, like the one in Stegona/Stegen, take place once per year for special occasions. A visit to the Christmas Markets, which offer a large selection of crafts and local products, is worthwhile during Advent.
An overview of the most important markets in South Tyrol is available here:
Markets in Bolzano
Fruit market at Obstplatz square, Mo-Fr from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Sa. 7:00 am to 1:00 pm (fruit, vegetables, cheese, smoked ham, bread & rolls, dried fruits, nuts, Italian specialities, ...)
Weekly market 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
Fruit, vegetables, food, clothing, household appliances...
- Monday: piazza Don Bosco square
- Tuesday: via Piacenza - via Asiago streets
- Wednesday: Firmian - piazza Montessori square
- Thursday: via Rovigo - piazza Matteotti square
- Saturday: piazza della Vittoria square e vie limitrofe streets
Farmers’ market: 7:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Tuesday: piazza Municipio square, piazza Mazzini square, viale Europa street
- Friday: piazza Municipio square, piazza Don Bosco square, via Claudia Augusta street
- Saturday: piazza Matteotti square
Markets in South Tyrol
An excerpt from South Tyrol’s farmers’ and weekly markets:
- Monday: Bressanone/Brixen, Castelbello-Ciardes/Kastelbell-Tschars, Cortina sulla Strada del Vino/Kurtinig, S. Paolo-Appiano sulla Strada del Vino/St. Pauls-Eppan (April-October), Terlano/Terlan, Dobbiaco/Toblach
- Tuesday: Merano/Meran, Egna/Auer, Prato allo Stelvio/Prad, Sarentino/Sarnthein (July-August), Vipiteno/Sterzing (April-October), S. Giacomo-Laives/St. Jakob-Leifers, S. Michele-Appiano sulla Strada del Vino/St. Michael-Leifers (April-December), Monguelfo-Tesido/Welsberg-Taisten (July-September), Renon-Soprabolzano/Ritten-Oberbozen, Lana
- Wednesday: Ora/Auer, Brunico/Bruneck, Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen, Caldaro/Kaltern (März-Oktober), Renon-Collalbo/Ritten-Klobenstein (April-October), Malles/Mals, Merano-Sinigo/Meran-Sinich, Salorno/Salurn, S. Cristina val Gardena/St. Christina, Fiè allo Sciliar/Völs, Merano-Maia Alta/Meran-Obermais, Merano/Meran
- Thursday: Bronzolo/Branzoll, Cornaiano-Appiano sulla Strada del Vino/Girlan-Eppan (April-October), Rio di Pusteria/Mühlbach (March-October), Castelrotto e Siusi/Kastelruth und Seis, Laives/Leifers, Silandro/Schlanders, Selva val Gardena/Wolkenstein, Meltina/Mölten
- Friday: Lana, Laces/Latsch, Magrè/Margreid, Merano/Meran, Egna/Auer, Valdaora-Valdaora di Mezzo/Olang-Mitterolang, Ortisei/St. Ulrich
- Saturday: Laghetti-Egna/Laag-Neumarkt, Meltina/Mölten, Naturno/Naturns, Merano/Meran, Sarentino/Sarnthein, Renon-Collalbo/Ritten-Klobenstein
- Josefimarkt in Salorno/Salurn, 19 March or the following Sunday
- The Markus-Markt in Ora/Auer, Saint Marcus’ Day (Spring)
- Michaelimarkt in Martelltal valley Saint Michael’s Day (Autumn)
- Stegona/Stegen’s Market in Brunico/Bruneck, last weekend in October
- Sealamorkt in Glorenza/Glurns, All Souls' Day (2. november)
- Martini-Markt in Cornaiano/Girlan, Saint Martin’s Day (10. november)
Current market opening times are available here. Prior to visiting, we recommend confirming the dates with the local/respective tourist office.