Christmas Zelten Cake
This traditional fruitcake is like South Tyrol: exotic spices, southern fruits, and as strong as the region.
- Preparation time: 02:00 h.
- Persons: 4
- 200 ml water
- 20 g yeast
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 150 g flour
- 100 g rye flour
- 15 g salt
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. aniseed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 500 g dried figs, in cubes or strips
- 250 g raisins
- 120 g sultanas
- 120 g mixed nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, peanuts), broken into small pieces
- 120 g pine nuts
- 50 g candied lemon peel
- 50 g candied orange peel
- 50 ml white wine
- 3 tbsp. rum
- 70 g honey
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove powder
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- walnuts, hazelnuts or blanched almonds and candied cherries, for decorating
- honey or sugar syrup, to brush on
- Mix the yeast and sugar together with warm water and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, rye flour, salt, oil, aniseed, and cumin; knead well using a machine.
- Cover, and let mixture rise for 30 minutes at 35 degrees Celsius.
- Marinate the figs, raisins, sultanas, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, citron, candied orange peel (soak in white wine beforehand) in rum and honey for at least an hour, until the Zelten acquires a good aroma.
- Add the lemon and orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg.
- Mix the marinated fruits and nuts into the dough thoroughly using a kneading machine
- Form the dough into round or elongated cakes and decorate with walnuts and almonds.
- Place cakes on a baking sheet and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven, brushing frequently with honey or sugar syrup, until they take on a rich brown colour.
- Let cool. Decorate with candied cherries then cover in plastic wrap.
Baking temperature: 170 degrees Celsius, cooking time: 40 minutes
A special tip:You can marinate the ingredients the day before.
Additional informationFrom the cookbook Dolci Dolomiti
Heinrich Gasteiger, Gerhard Wieser, Helmut Bachmann