The Church of Our Lady in Lajen/Laion
Laion paese/Lajen Dorf, Lajen/Laion
The Church of Our Lady in Lajen/Laion • Churches in South Tyrol
The late Gothic church was mentioned already in 1147 for the first time. According to the legend the church stands on the foundations of a heathen victim place. Today's building was built in the 15th century. Gothic elements of the church are the ogival portals, the rosette window above the main entrance with the Gothic three passports and the dainty net ribbed vaulting inside. The high altar (at 1620) shows Jesus' birth, statues of Peter and Paulus as well as figures from the Life of the Virgin Mary. The painted windows on the left and on the right side of the high altar were donated from Lajen's nobility families in 1905. The remaining fittings are in the neo-Gothic style. The tower of Our Lady's Church is adorned on the northern side and has impressing frescos.