Although it is not really in the area of the municipality of Kaltern, the ruin Leuchtenburg, which can be reached through a nice walk, belongs to Kaltern's skyline. Built in 1250 by the lords of Rottenburg, it was protected by its location and by an imposing wall. Many castles of the Rottenburgers were honed after their conflict with Duke Friedrich IV of Tyrol in 1410, but the Leuchtenburg passed into the possession of the landlord, who gave it to the respective mainmen of Caldaro. For a long time the Leuchtenburg was also the seat of the judge of Kaltern. In the 17th century the ruin ceased to be used, it was abandoned. Parts of the wall and the palace with frescoes from the 15th century are still well preserved. Always worth seeing: The beautiful view of lake Kaltern from above, the South Tyrolean wine road and the Adige Valley. Perfect location for a picknick.